Friday 9 May 2014

This Whole Damn World Could Fall Apart

You'll be okay follow your heart.
New Radicals, You Get What you Give
I heard the New Radicals on my way into work. It instantly takes me back to summer and years ago when this album came out. I was running a music store, and a bunch of us thought this album would do well. Fast forward, and the New Radicals, are nothing more then a one hit wonder. Oh well, can't call them all.

I hate to type this out for fear I may jinx it, but I believe it is summer finally. It's still very cool in the morning, but the sun has been shining, and yesterday when I was outside, it didn't feel forced, it even felt a bit warm.

Not sure if it was the mood I was in this week, or what but I was not blown away by any of the new releases I previewed.. There are some good qualities, but for the most part I felt blah.

Someday World by Brian Eno & Karl Hyde
For sure the best of the batch this week, this album I listened to a few times, and mostly for Karl. My knowledge of Brian Eno is primarily as a collaborator more so then as a member of Roxy Music or as a solo musician with a strong definitive sound. So many people I know who are big music nerds like myself speak of Brian's genius, but I will admit, I do not know a ton about the man or his music. But because my biggest knowledge of him is when he collaborates, I was excited to see something with Karl Hyde. I am a big fan of Karl's for years beginning in 1988 with the release of Underworld's Underneath the Radar. Man I must have worn out my cassette of that one. Any ways I digress, the release in question is Someday World. It's a solid release from start to finish, but there was not a single track that stood out from the others, and therefore no real memorable moment. Still worth a listen as the whole record as one piece is decent.

I Never Learn by Lykke Li
This is one of those albums where the vocals meld into the music. I even felt in some areas that the vocals just disappeared. I am not sure if I really love this trend. I have heard it quite a bit, and sometimes it's done well, mostly I just stop caring and listening. That aside I did enjoy the album. The mood evoked is beautiful and I re-listened to a few tracks. No Rest for the Wicked is an especially great track

Changing Light by Mirah
No a fan of this one. I appreciate the vocals and the lyrics were okay, but I felt like there was too much sound....does that make sense? I felt like the artist was think more is more, and couldn't appreciate the beauty in subtly. I found myself easily distracted. There was nothing keeping my attention.

Cry for the Flies by Le Butcherettes
This album surprised me. Initially I wasn't hooked, but something told me to give it another pass and when I did I started to appreciate the music and it's quirks. It starts at a pretty frenetic pace, and I immediately made a connection to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs especially in vocals. I think I will only enjoy this release more with each listen. There is a very obvious pace change in the album, The spoken word track Moment of Guilt, by Henry Rollins. Past this piece, the shift is obvious, but still compliments everything prior to it.
This release is worth checking out.

So remember kids, it's great to hear music online, but it's even better to buy the album in a store, look though the liner notes, enjoy the original artwork, and appreciate the people who made it all possible.
Go buy a CD or Record, my indie store friends at Permanent Records, Listen Records and Blackbyrd Myoozik will appreciate the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment