Friday 2 May 2014

Don't Let it Get Away...

It's a Beautiful Day!

I am back at work after having last week off. While the weather may not have cooperated the whole time, nothing could dampen the time. So many laughs, great food and drink was consumed, and I think it's really what I needed to in such a chaotic time.

Chaos is everywhere, but it's perspective that keeps you sane while moving through it. I have been buried in details since coming back to work, but kept reminding myself to take moments for myself.  In fact I am doing the David Suzuki #30x30challenge. Everyday this week spend 30 minutes in nature. It's a great challenge, that I am happy to participate in. 

Another thing that has made me happy this week, and let's be honest every week, is music. There were some great finds this week 2 artists specifically that I was not familiar with, but am now smitten with. Starting with the familiar:

Dolly Parton; she has a new CD coming out called Blue Smoke. Let me just say straight off that I love her. Her voice is still great after all of these years and while the recent material she's recorded of patriotic and cover songs has not been a path I enjoy this new release sees her coming back to familiar territory and sounds. Blue Smoke is her 42 album and is a bit of a patchwork but somehow it really works. We are taken on a bit of a journey of styles for Bluegrassy mountain, to a Dylan cover and some duets (hello Kenny), and great country music but by the end of the CD it all makes sense, and fits together very well. (PS: check out her website, man this lady knows how to market herself)

Amor Planeta by Pacifica. I dig this group. They are a a World fusion trio from Vancouver that really forages a strong path for themselves. Spanish vocals and electronica subtleties combine to create a lush and expressive sound that truly is their own. I love this quote from the singer, Silvana Kane on the inspiration of this album:  “It’s love in its various forms: love of nature, love of another, love that is lost, love that is eternal—basically all that makes us what we are as humans.” Do yourself a favour and go buy this album.

All or Nothing by Nikki Lane. I had never heard of this girl before, but holy $#it is she great. I really dug the sound. I was instantly reminded of Neko Case in a few spots, as her great voice really has an outlaw country vibe that perfectly compliments the moody music. Heavy instrumentation, was immediately infectious that after listening to her album, I looked her up and was not surprised to find out the Dan Auerback produced the album. 
The opening track is a real stand out an leads into a CD that is filled with great contradictions classic/modern, country/guitar rock and polished/raw. 

Lighght by Kishi Bashi. Instantly smitten, is what I will say about this album. I mean, I was not prepared for it's opening track of violin morphing into a great rhythmic anthem. The whole album I found wonderfully strange. Chamber poppy dance music with vocals reminding me of The Shins at times. I really enjoyed this, it was simply fun and I think based on my chaotic week, was exactly what I needed to hear. I will definitely playing this one a few more times today while at work. Here's the opening track...enjoy: 

Oh also you'll see on his website that he's having a T-shirt design contest. Spread the word. 

As always, if you like what you hear, go buy the record, in a store like; Permanent Records, Blackbyrd Myoozik or Listen Records. The record store is vital, we need to support them....plus they're super knowledgeable.



1 comment:

  1. Am glad to hear Dolly has a new album coming out. I was just listening to some of her older gospel stuff on YouTube and I think I like it better then some of her better known commercial stuff. Her voice just sounded better. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete