Monday 14 April 2014

It's been a long time since I've rock 'n rolled

....been a long time since I did the stroll.

It's official, I have blog shame. I have not posted in over a year. There are reasons for my absence, but really, they're just excuses. Well I am done with excuses. I will resurrect said blog, and hopefully you'll be reading this and many future posts on a regular basis. ...also I know you are dying to know what I think about music, the industry, concerts and new releases.

So the big news, non festival related, is the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Creation, catharsis and canonization was the name of the game. Open to the public for the first time, the ceremony celebrated a handful of artists, most of which I was so excited for and boy what a dream would that have been to be able to attend the ceremony. Maybe, someday.

In this age of instant news, social media, it was fascinating to read about the speeches, and happening almost as it was happening.

One inductee that was particularly important to me was Nirvana. It really was a band that had a huge influence on my life. I remember first hearing them, seeing their impact on myself, my friends and our musical tastes. Then later, I was working in a music store when news of Kurt Cobain's death hit the media. His legacy was and is incredible. I also appreciate seeing the surviving members Krist and Dave being interviewed and speaking about Kurt. You can really hear the reverence and see the protective behaviour they exhibit for him. Touching.

I was equally proud of almost all the act inducted. I don't know enough about all of them, and out of sheer preference, I am bound to like some more then others, but for the most part the Class of 2014 was great. I love Peter Gabriel, so was particularily excited for him. Had it been me though, I would have added a few names, maybe The Wailers, MC5, Patsy Cline, Dolly Parton, Lou Reed or The Cure.....but I am sure their days are coming.

There really were some great moments, and you can easily get trapped in a Youtube trap of clips if you wanted too. For all the naysayers, I say....yes it's political but what awards aren't? Are you just upset this year because your favourite band wasn't inducted, or are you routinely angry about awards in general? Take it with a grain of salt, there are flaws, but at the end of the day, I like seeing people who have made a significant tribute to the world, be congratulated. It makes me smile.

Congratulations to Peter Gabriel, KISS, Nirvana, Cat Stevens, Hall & Oats, Linda Ronstadt, Andrew Loog Oldham, Brian Epstein and The E Street Band.

Here's one of my favourite musicians Questlove inducting Hall & Oats, enjoy:




2 comments: